Installing pygame on my Mac
I have a MacBook Air running Mountain Lion (10.9). I also have a RaspberryPi that I want to use as a digital picture frame (along with a monitor – of course).
My choice of digital picture frame software is – home brew pygame – running from the console on the RaspberryPi.
On the RPi I get pygame with a rasbian image. On the Mac I have to install it by myself. I found a fine guide on pygame.org. Here is what I did:
- Installed python – the pure 32-bit 2.7.x from vpython.org
- Install VPython-Mac-Py2.7-x from vpython.org (which should include numpy)
- Installed the SDL libraries from libsdl.org. You will need base, SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf, and SDL_image.
- Installed the libjpeg and libpng libraries precompiled from ethan.tira-thompson.com
- Installed Xcode from Apple apps.
- Added command line tools. To do this start Xcode and go to Preferences under Xcode menu. Choose the Download tab and select Components and install.
- Installed XQuartz as Mountain Lion OS X no longer includes the X11 window system library. Find it on xquartz.macosforge.org
- Downloaded pygame tar file from http://pygame.org/download.shtml Decompressed and extracted to create directory pygame1.9.1release
- Before compilation of pygame:
- SDL_x header files refer to SDL as <SDL/SDL_yy.h> However, a SDL directory is not under the include directory of SDL (SDL/Headers). To fix this in a simple way: I Went to directory /Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Headers
- then made a link as follows: ln -s SDL ./
- Changed to the pygame directory (normally pygame1.9.1release). Then switched to the super user. However, you can use the sudo command instead. I set the following compilation flags
export CC='/usr/bin/gcc' export CFLAGS='-isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk -I/opt/X11/include -arch i386' export LDFLAGS='-arch i386' export ARCHFLAGS='-arch i386'
You must specify using the original location of X11. The mac does not have a ld.so.conf
and apparently the links generated by XQuartz in /usr do not work correctly.
- Now execute:
This should find the SDL, jpeg, png, and numpy librariespython setup.py build
This will build in the directory before installing. It should complete with no errors. then python setup.py install
- Confirmed that it worked:Out of super user mode and in a terminal shellpython
and within python import pygamethis gave no error and a simple pygame program ran fine.